Sunday, October 24, 2010

Halloween Memories and Costumes

Lorine McGinnis Schulze of the Olive Tree Genealogy blog is sharing memories of Halloween costumes today. One costume of mine immediately came to mind and I was able to find the photograph in a matter of seconds.

This is the costume I wore circa 1958 in Greenwood, Nebraska. I wore a mask that portrayed a Japanese lady. My "hair" was actually a combination winter cap/scarf that my Mom fashioned into a quasi-wig.

My dress was an old white sheet. I think that I must have colored some Halloween designs on it - black cats, pumpkins and the like.

In our small town, we didn't go door-to-door but just to the homes of people we knew. This photo was taken by our neighbor, Dorothy Maher, at her home across the street. From Dorothy's I went to the Buckingham's home. Mrs. Buckingham apparently thought I was this little Japanese woman who came knocking on her door on the evening on October 31. Or maybe she was just going along and humoring me! What I remember is that when I left her house, my "hair" got caught in the screen door and I went a little crazy trying to free myself!

Some time later, Dorothy shared a story that she had a visitor who was looking through her photographs and asked her about the Japanese lady. Someone apparently thought that it was the real deal.

1 comment: