Sunday, October 10, 2010

RIP: Cass County Historians

Two people who were instrumental in documenting community and family histories in Cass county, Nebraska have died in the last two weeks.

Arnetta Carpenter of Onawa, Iowa died on September 22, 2010 in Whiting, Iowa. Arnetta was born in Greenwood, Nebraska to Gus and Clara Brakage. She helped establish the Greenwood Historical Museum and worked on the community history books of Greenwood, Nebraska. My memories of Mrs. Carpenter go back to my childhood when her daughter and I were in the same grade in school and her son played on the Greenwood baseball team when my Dad was the manager.

Full obituary and guest book from the Lincoln Journal Star

Mary Skalak of Elmwood, Nebraska died October 6, 2010. She was a long-time educator in the Elmwood Schools and was editor of the voluminous Cass County History book. I met Mrs. Skalak in the 1970s when I visited her classroom to learn about a minigrant she had received to help teach her students about the history of Stove Creek Precinct. I returned later to interview her about the project for the Omaha World Herald's Magazine of the Midlands. She was a long time supporter of the Bess Streeter Aldrich Foundation.

Full obituary and guest book from the Lincoln Journal Star

Both women were committed to documenting the history of Cass County, Nebraska. Thank goodness for that because their work and legacy shall go on.

3 comments:

  1. That is a tremendous loss to your community, but, their work shall be their legacy. Sounds like they have great legacies. How lucky for you to have such great memories of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear this Susan. Perhaps you might fill their shoes, slowly at first. I believe you would be an excellent "replacement."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara, I think that their work was probably as thorough as it could have been and brought the community histories up through the 1980s. While I'm flattered by your comment, I'm not sure anyone could replace them. And my ties with Cass County are between 1870 - 1970. I will continue to focus my research on that 100 year span - should keep me busy for a few years!

    ReplyDelete